- Video Games
- About Us
And the scandal continues. This morning, the hackers behind the now infamous Sony leaks taking place over the past few weeks, are now demanding that The Interview never be released in any shape to the public.
This comes after news earlier this week that threats to national security not only caused a few major theater chains to back out of showing the movie, but Sony as a whole to cancel the film’s release entirely.
In the email, obtained by CNN, sent to Sony Entertainment Chief Executive Michael Lynton and studio co-chair Amy Pascal on Thursday night, the hacker group threatened more leaks would come from the studio if they released the film. The email then went on to congratulate them on a “very wise” decision to cancel the Christmas release of The Interview.
“Now we want you never let the movie released, distributed or leaked in any form of, for instance, DVD or piracy.”
The message also says, “And we want everything related to the movie, including its trailers, as well as its full version down from any website hosting them immediately.”
And if Sony plays ball? Well, their sensitive and personal data will be protected, apparently. “We still have your private and sensitive data,” the email reads. The group will also “ensure the security of your data unless you make additional trouble.”
Sony has received much ire for canceling the film, and it remains a hot debate over whether or not it was the right decision or not.
As usual, we will keep you up to date as more information is released.
Update: It’s been confirmed by the FBI that the hacks were indeed directed by North Korea. In a press conference earlier today, President Obama was asked to comment on the issue, echoing much of the popular sentiment that Sony made a mistake in cancelling the film.
“Yes, I think they made a mistake,” he said. “We cannot have a society in which some dictator some place can start imposing censorship in the United States.”