Date Night topples “Titans”
Note: This article was based on the weekend estimates, which figured Date Night had finished No. 1. In fact, Clash of the Titans was the actual winner when the Sunday receipts were officially totaled.
Clash of the Titans more or less turned to stone in its second weekend, allowing Steve Carell and Tina Fey comedy Date Night to take the No. 1 spot in America. The top three films were all close, with How to Train Your Dragon having a fantastic third week, declining just 12 percent from last weekend thanks to tremendous positive reviews.
Estimates for the rest of the Top 10 films this weekend are as follows, new releases are in bold:
- Date Night - $27.1 M (weekend) … $27.1 M (gross)
- Clash of the Titans - $26.8 M … $110.4 M
- How to Train Your Dragon - $25.3 M ... $133.8 M
- Why Did I Get Married Too? - $11 M ... $48.5 M
- The Last Song - $10 M ... $42.4 M
- Alice in Wonderland - $5.6 M ... $319.3 M
- Hot Tub Time Machine - $5.4 M ... $36.9 M
- The Bounty Hunter $4.3 M … $56 M
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid - $4.1 M … $53.7 M
- Letters to God - $1.2 M ... $1.2 M
The box office was down about 27 percent from last weekend, enough so that religious-themed longshot Letters to God snuck into the Top 10 with just over $1 million