Nintendo Direct Recap (April 12)
"The summer is stacked... weird"
Nintendo’s latest Nintendo Direct redesigned the layout, with quick, one-minute headlines of game announcements with two beefier portions detailing Arms and Splatoon 2 some more. While the format felt super rushed, we still got a ton of new info and new game announcements. The most surprising part is that Nintendo has a crazy busy summer ahead, a time where releases are normally very sparse.
Here’s the 3DS half of the Direct followed by the headlines.
- Sidescroller announced last year
- Throw Pikmin with touch screen to solve puzzles and take out enemies
- Releases July 28
- A new Pikmin amiibo releases same day with the red, yellow, blue, pink and rock Pikmin
Kirby’s 25th Anniversary
- Several new announcements relating to Kirby
- Team Kirby Clash Deluxe: a chunk from Kirby Planet Robobot. four Kirby characters with different powers (Sword Hero, Hammer Lord, Beam Mage or Doctor Healmore) battle giant enemies together. Free-to-start. Launches today.
- Kirby’s Blowout Blast: 3D Kirby platformer with grid-like movement. inhaling enemies and powering up along the way. 3DS eShop only. Releases this summer.
- A new unnamed game. “Multiplayer action game.” Releases for Nintendo 3DS this holiday.
- Turn-based JRPG starring Miis
- Characters attack automatically and relationships determine how, if and who to attack
- Pretty funny
- Action-adventure RPG from Koichi Ishii, the creator of the Mana series and developed by Grezzo (Ocarina of Time 3D and Majora’s Mask 3D)
- Releases June 23
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
- Releases May 19th
- Remake of Fire Emblem Gaiden
- Free and paid DLC inbound that contains new maps, dungeons and challenges
- Season Pass also inbound
- The third entry in the BOXBOY! series
- Qbby gets four powers: Boxrocket, Bombox, Warpbox and Remotebox
- Kirby amiibo unlock Kirby skins
Monster Hunter Stories
- JRPG spinoff of the Monster Hunter games
- Very story based, user friendly
- Releases this fall
Yo-kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters
- Third version of Yo-Kai Watch 2
- Same game as Bony Spitits annd Fleshy Sould, but has new Yo-kai and missions, much like a third version of a Pokemon game
- Releases this fall
- Published by Nintendo in Japan, localized by NIS America
- Card-meets-board game
- Releases Aug. 29
RPG Maker Fes
- Make your own RPG and share them online
- Players who don’t have the game can still play them with the free RPG Maker Player app
- Western version has Disgaea skins
- Releases June 27
Smash Bros. amiibo
- (Finally) releasing Cloud, Bayonetta and Corrin
- Two versions of each character: Cloud and Advent Children Cloud, male and female Corrin, Bayonetta 1 and 2 Bayonetta
- All six out on July 21
The Legend of Zelda amiibo
-Three new Link amiibo: Majora’s Mask, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword
- Releases on June 23
And here’s the Nintendo Switch half of the Direct follwed by the headlines and the two focus titles: Arms and Splatoon 2:
- Neon Yellow Joy-Con controllers and Joy-Con Straps announced
- A Joy-Con AA Battery Pack accessory announced. Adds bulk to the Joycon while allowing users to place 2 AA batteries to extend the battery life.
- Nintendo Switch standalone dock releases May 19. Contains dock, HDMI and AC adapter
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Launches on April 28
- Nintendo will be hosting two Mario Kart 8 Deluxe online tournaments in-game: one race and one battle
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers
- Releases on May 26
- Two new fighters: Evil Ryu and Violent Ken
-Way of the Hado mode: Throw HADOKENS with first-person motion controls
- Two-player co-op mode: Two players get one health bar in 2 vs. 1 CPU matches
Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition
- Super Mario Mash-Up pack along with new multiplayer and control options
- Releases on Nintendo eShop on May 11, and retail at a later date
- Sonic, Classic Sonic and a new ally are playable
- Modern Sonic plays like Colors and Classic is like the Genesis games
- Releases holiday
- Releases this summer
- Features Sonic 3-esque 2D graphics with new and classic stages
Project Mekuru (name not final)
- Releases on Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch this summer
- Flip panels and blow up opponents
Disgaea 5 Complete
- Definitive version of the PS4 game Disgaea 5
- Releases May 23
- Demo out soon
- Some available now and some coming soon
- Samurai Showdown IV releases tomorrow
- Fatal Fury and The King of Fighters ’99 coming soon as well
Puyo Puyo Tetris
- Releasing April 25
- Demo releases tomorrow
Monopoly for Nintendo Switch
- Up to six player online and offline multiplayer
- HD Rumble make realistic dice rolls
- Handheld mode lays system down like the real board game
- Launches this fall.
Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition
- Releases later this year
- Exclusive solo Kung Foot mode and tournaments for up to eight players
Sine Mora EX
- Grasshopper Manufacture shmup
- Releases this summer
Battle Chasers: Nightwar
- RPG inspired by console classics and based on the Battle Chasers comic book series
- Timed exclusive release on Nintendo Switch in late summer.
- Four-player co-op game about robbing banks is getting ported to Switch
- Releases this winter
- Pac-man, Galaga, Splatterhouse, Rolling Thunder, Skykid and Tank Force
- Suspend saves
- Special challenge modes added
- Launches on eShop this summer.
Fate/EXTELLA: The Umbral Star:
- Released on PS4, Vita and PC earlier this year, getting ported to Switch
- Hack and slash gameplay starring characters from multiple Fate universes
- The Switch version will come loaded with 35 previously released paid DLC costumes, along with an exclusive new Unshackled Bride outfit
- Releases July 25.
- Can equip two types of customizable arms per fighter with elemental attributes
- Earn in-game currency that can be used to play a gacha that can get new arms
- 1-v-1 matches or 2-v-2
- Fast, ramen-armed Min Min character announced
- Releases June 16.
- Splatoon 2: Salmon Run announced, which is a four-player co-op horde mode. Fight the new Salmonid species.
- Releases July 21
- A third wave of Inkling Girl, Inkling Boy and Inkling Squid amiibo releasing July 21 too. Can save your weapon and clothing loadout on them to play on other systems.