September Nintendo Direct Focuses on Nintendo 3DS
"There's a lot coming to the 5-year old system"
Today’s first Nintendo Direct in quite some time is all about the Nintendo 3DS. The scrappy handheld has been on a roll with Pokémon fever throughout the year, peaking with Pokémon Go’s
launch in July. Nintendo knows that this is the system to focus on this holiday with a breadth of good releases, recent price drops on the 2DS, the rerelease of the smaller New 3DS in Walmart and Target, updates of current games and ports of Wii U hits to allow a larger audience to experience them. This Direct had some production value with Reggie and Bill Trinen going at it once more.
Pokémon Sun and Moon
- Munchlax is a preorder bonus. It will hold the Snorlium Z crystal allowing Snorlax to use its Z-move: Pulverizing Pancake. It will also have Hold Back and Happy Hour as moves. Hold Back is like False Swipe, making sure the opponent has at least 1HP left for catching, and Happy Hour doubles money earned.
- Alolan Rattata also debuted. It became Dark/Normal after becoming nocturnal after a Rattata outbreak caused humans to let loose a bunch of Yungoos to drive them off. Alolan Raticate (not shown) is their boss.
-More info coming September 6th
Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS
- Play courses made using the Wii U version, including 100 courses made by Nintendo. Not all courses supported due to 3DS limitations.
- Play courses made locally (no online sharing), collaborate to create courses
-Out December 2nd
Animal Crossing New Leaf
- Substantial update coming to the three-year-old game.
- Adds amiibo card and figure support, including those outside Animal Crossing (Splatoon’s Callie and Marie are two that are compatible).
- New round of Animal Crossing amiibo cards on the way. Gives players that never-before-seen villager in a motorhome.
- Game rereleased last week as a Nintendo Select for $20. Also will have a version on December 2nd, which will have the update on the cartridge as well as an amiibo card from the new set.
- Mini Animal Crossing Direct coming this fall
StreetPass Mii Plaza
- Quick Plaza which streamlines the way you bring people in.
- StreetPass Mii Plaza Premium will now save up to 100 players (vs. 10 normally).
- 5 new games being added: Slot Car Rivals (Free), Market Crashers (Free), Feed Mii, Mii Track, and Ninja Launcher. Only one of those two games are free, but you get a discount if you bulk buy the four after receiving the free one.
- Updates launch today.
- 3DS eShop game
- Local and online play, due out
- Releases this Winter
Picross 3D Round 2
- Available today with demo
- New shapes, no longer cubic looking
- amiibo figures unlock new puzzles
The Legend of Zelda (general)
- Dark Horse releasing a successor to Hyrule Historia, titles Arts & Artifacts.
- New 8-Bit Link, Ocarina of Time Link and Toon Link/Zelda 2-pack releasing December 2nd. Works as normal Link/Zelda amiibo for games like Super Smash Bros.
, Super Mario Maker
, Twilight Princess HD
, Hyrule Warriors
, Breath of the Wild
- Skyward Sword releasing on Wii U eShop today, $19.99.
- Hyrule Warriors Legends
and Hyrule Warriors
(Wii U) are getting the third DLC pack starring Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks
. Adds Phantom Zelda from Spirit Tracks as a playable character.
NES Classic Edition
- Releases November 11th
New Nintendo 3DS XL Galaxy Edition
- out now, $199.99.
Dragon Quest VII
- Releasing in two weeks
- Full 3D remake of the 2D PS1 game
- Tons of new content
- Dragon Quest VIII out in 2017
Yo-kai Watch 2
- Releasing as two version on September 30th: Bony Spirits and Fleshy Souls. Each having its own exclusive Yo-kai.
- Demo hitting mid Sept.
- Day One Editions have physical medals. eShop versions have exclusive Yo-kai.
Disney Magical World 2
- Out October 14
- Animal Crossing-like experience with Disney Characters
- Preorder bonus has Frozen costumes
- Disney themes hitting 3DS
Third Party Lineup
- Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice
Day One edition includes DVD with three episodes of the cartoon
- Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
has Day One edition with pins. Shows a different side of the SMT4 story.
-Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice
releases next Friday (Sept. 8th), with demo out now. eShop exclusive, $29.99.
-Nindies Night at PAX West
Poochy and Yoshi's Woolly World
- Port of Wii U game. All stages plus new Poochy stages.
- Includes animates shorts
- Poochy amiibo releases alongside game
- Releases February 2017
- Releases 2017
- Developed by Grezzo (Ocarina/Majora 3D ports), Directed by Koichi Ishii (Mana games, Creator of Moogles and Chocobos), Illustrations by Yoshinori Shizuma
- Explore dungeons, create friends and build towns
Mario Party: Star Rush
- Full 4-player multiplayer with a single cartridge. Other players have to download a free client called the Party Guest Software on the eShop to do so.
- New Toad Scramble mode has four players going without taking turns in a Fire Emblem-style grid map. Players rush a boss and fight it before the others get to it. Different ways to win other than beating the boss too.
- Features six other modes too
- Out November 4th with new amiibo variants of DK, Diddy, Rosalina, and Wario - as well as brand new Waluigi, Boo and Daisy ones.
Mario Sports Superstars
- Soccer, Tennis, Baseball, Golf and Horse Racing
- Full scale sports: 11v11 Soccer, full fielding in baseball, etc.
- Local/online multiplayer with tourney modes
- Coming to 3DS this Spring
Pikmin for Nintendo 3DS (name not final)
- Side-scrolling Pikmin adventure much like last year’s Chibi Robo, very action oriented
- Pluck Pikmin, attack enemies and build structures with stylus
- Enemies have more of a 2D boss fight feel, like in a Yoshi game
- Releases in 2017
That’s it for now, the next digital event they’ll probably do is the NX reveal, coming later this year. Here’s the full Direct: